Information Sessions with the Faculty Leader
Wednesday, October 11, 3:10-4pm, 308 Herrick Hall
Thursday, November 2, 5-6pm, 308 Herrick Hall
This is a 4-week International Service Learning program that provides students with the opportunity to increase their cultural competency, learn about the key components of sustainable community development, and engage in service learning related to increasing resources for families & communities in rural Ecuador. Specifically, students in this program will have the opportunity to participate as interns in established community projects through a partnership with the organized community of Yunguilla in the cloud forest of Ecuador. Students will have the opportunity to take Spanish lessons, see the Unesco World Heritage sites in and around Quito, live with families in Yunguilla, swim in waterfall pools, and zip line through the canopy of the cloud forest. This course blends academic rigor, professional development, service learning, and adventure.
Faculty Led Poster_Ecuador HHD 2018_V2 (1).pdf
HDFS 491. Special Topics. 3 Credits. Summer Term.
Internship. 3 Credits HDFS, EDEC, or CHTH 498. Or these can be replaced for upper division elective credits. Please talk to your advisor. Summer Term.
May 7 – June 2, 2018
Students will stay in a shared hotel room in Quito, an Eco-Lodge in Intillacta Reserva, and home stays in Yunguilla.
The majority of the meals are included in the program cost and will take place in a combination of hotel restaurants, community restaurants, and in the homes of the home stays where you will be living. All other meals are the responsibility of the student.
$3,670 + 6 MSU Summer Tuition Credits and International Airfare
- Program fee includes lodging, daily breakfast, most meals, in-country transportation, Spanish lessons, cultural activites, international health insurance, and more
This program is eligible for financial aid.
Refer to the following Financial Aid Faculty Led Study Abroad Budget Sheets to assist in your financial planning. If you intend to apply for financial aid, bring a copy of the Financial Aid Budget Sheet to the Office of Financial Aid Services as soon as possible:
||Wendy Bianchini Morrison, MS, LCPC
Human Development & Family Science
Friday, December 1, 2017
- 2.5 GPA
- Dean of Students Disciplinary Clearance
- Consent of Faculty Leader
MSU Faculty Led Program Application Process
Prior to starting your application, it is recommended to meet with Faculty Leader and/or Faculty Led Program Coordinator in the Office of International Programs. Visit the Study Abroad website
for Drop-In Advising Hours and to Schedule a Faculty Led Advising Appointment.
Note: Following program acceptance, attendance of the Faculty Led Pre-Departure Orientation and Travel Health and Safety is mandatory. Specific orientation date and times to be announced.
- Click here to apply online through My Global Connection. A complete application includes:
- $300 Faculty Led Application Fee
- Official Transcript
- Acknowledgement of Faculty Led Participation and Pre-Departure Requirements
- Additional Application Information
- Faculty Led Application Short Essay
- FERPA Information
- Health History Form
- Passport Information
- Complete an interview with the Faculty Leader and the Faculty Led Program Coordinator in the Office of International Programs.
- Upon program acceptance, confirm participation and complete Post-Acceptance Application Materials in My Global Connection.
Study Abroad Team
Office of International Programs