Information Sessions with the Faculty Leaders
September 14, 12pm-12:30pm, Reid 123
September 20, 5:30pm-6pm, Reid 223
October 3, 12pm-12:30pm, Reid 123
October 3, 5:30pm-6pm, Reid 123
Interested in knowing why Finland is consistently the world-leader in literacy? Interested in learning how the Finnish system prepares excellent teachers who are tri-lingual? Interested in seeing how libraries support family literacy?
This is the study abroad program for you! Join two faculty experts in literacy and education and participate in a spring course that involves active learning and includes guest speakers. Topics include multi-lingualism, principles of reading instruction, literary works of Finnish authors, a study of Finland's indigenous people, a snapshot of Finland's library system, and a brief overview of the Finnish language and orthography system.
This 8-week course culminates in a trip to Finland to experience what we will have studied. Students who participate will better understand the inter-sectionality of instruction and assessment and come to know Finland's people, history, and culture.
Faculty Led Poster_Finland 2018.pdf
EDCI 491 or 591. Finland: Literacies and Libraries in Context. 3 credits. Spring Term
- Online course instruction: January 10-March 9
- Immersion experience abroad with faculty and classmates: March 9-18
March 9-18, 2018
Students will stay in shared housing, 2-4 participants to a room.
Daily breakfast is included along with group welcome and farewell dinners. All other meals are the responsibility of the student.
$3,570 + International Airfare, Tuition included in Spring Term
- Program fee includes lodging, daily breakfast, two dinners, cultural activities, in-country transportation, international health insurance, and more
This program is eligible for financial aid.
Refer to the following Financial Aid Faculty Led Study Abroad Budget Sheets to assist in your financial planning. If you intend to apply for financial aid, bring a copy of the Financial Aid Budget Sheet to the Office of Financial Aid Services as soon as possible:
Wednesday, November 1, 2017
- 2.5 GPA
- Dean of Students Disciplinary Clearance
- Consent of Faculty Leader
MSU Faculty Led Program Application Process
Prior to starting your application, it is recommended to meet with Faculty Leader and/or Faculty Led Program Coordinator in the Office of International Programs. Visit the Study Abroad website
for Drop-In Advising Hours and to Schedule a Faculty Led Advising Appointment.
Note: Following program acceptance, attendance of the Faculty Led Pre-Departure Orientation and Travel Health and Safety is mandatory. Specific orientation date and times to be announced.
- Click here to apply online through My Global Connection. A complete application includes:
- $300 Faculty Led Application Fee
- Official Transcript
- Acknowledgement of Faculty Led Participation and Pre-Departure Requirements
- Additional Application Information
- Faculty Led Application Short Essay
- FERPA Information
- Health History Form
- Passport Information
- Complete an interview with the Faculty Leader and the Faculty Led Program Coordinator in the Office of International Programs.
- Upon program acceptance, confirm participation and complete Post-Acceptance Application Materials in My Global Connection.
Study Abroad Team
Office of International Programs