Morocco: Voyage and Discovery in the Francophone World
The Morocco: Spring Break Community Service program is an international service learning experience that offers university students the opportunity to assist in ongoing community development projects in the rural communities of the Zawiya Ahansal region in the Central High Atlas Mountains of Morocco. The program is run through Montana State University’s Office of International Programs and is partnered with the Atlas Cultural Foundation (ACF), a non-profit organization with the mission of collaborating with rural Moroccans in order to improve their quality of life in the fields of cultural preservation, community education, and public health. Students will work with ACF and their in-country partners to assist with ongoing community development projects in addition to living and learning with the local community. The program is designed for university students with a minimum of intermediate French language proficiency.
The program offers an international experience for undergraduate and graduate students to travel to rural Morocco accompanied by Montana State University faculty and live and work in a small community. The student work will directly benefit ACF’s long-term programs in this region. The foundation of the program is a real world experience of living, working, and learning in a rural Moroccan village. Students engage in meaningful, community-identified work; are immersed in an intercultural living environment in which they engage in cross-cultural dialogue; observe, study, and participate in the host culture; work with faculty and professional mentors; and generally engage in a variety of formal and informal intercultural exchanges. These experiences are then reflected upon in direct and indirect methods with peers, leaders, or cultural informants. Through reflection and observation, new learning occurs and is then tested and applied in the field.
Faculty Led Poster_French_Morocco17-18_Final.pdf
- ML492. 3 credits. Spring Term. Course instruction held during Spring 217 followed by travel abroad immediately following spring semester.
- In Marrakech, participants will be staying in double rooms at the Riad Assia. In Zawiya Ahansal participants will be staying at the village Sheikh's house.
- All meals are included from breakfast on May 8 through breakfast on May 18. Dinner on the arrival night in Marrakech on May 7, 2017 is not included and will cost students under $15.00.
$2,450 + international airfare + tuition
- Program fee includes international health insurance, accomodations, meals, and group activities
- Program fee does not include international airfare
Refer to the following Financial Aid Faculty Led Study Abroad Budget Sheets to assist in your financial planning:
This program is eligible for financial aid during spring term.
If you intend to apply for financial aid, bring a copy of the Financial Aid Budget Sheet, located above, to the Office of Financial Aid Services as soon as possible.
- 2.5 min GPA
- Dean of Students Disciplinary Clearance
- Completion of FRCH201 or demonstrates Intermediate Low French Proficiency according to the ACTFL Proficiency Guidelines
- Instructor consent upon interview
||Dr. Pascale Hickman
Associate Teaching Professor
Modern Languages & Literatures
MSU FACULTY LED STUDY ABROAD Application Process
- Meet with a study abroad advisor in the Office of International Programs. Visit the Study Abroad website for Drop-In Advising Hours and to Schedule a Faculty Led Advising Appointment
- APPLY ONLINE HERE through My Global Connection. A complete application includes:
- $300 Faculty Led Application Fee
- Official Transcript
- Acknowledgement of Faculty Led Participation and Pre-Departure Requirements
- Additional Application Information
- Faculty Led Application Short Essay
- FERPA Information
- Health History Form
- Passport Information
- Complete an interview with the Faculty Leader and the Faculty Led Program Coordinator in the Office of International Programs
- Upon program acceptance, confirm participation and complete Post-Acceptance Application Materials in My Global Connection
Contact Study Abroad